Departmental printers are available for use in the Student Center (DUE1118), main office (DUE2184), and Grad Student Office (DUE2221). See the printers list or the bottom of this page for a list of current printers available.
NOTE: Use of printers is restricted to CS students/faculty/staff and should not be used to give access to anyone else. Unauthorized use may result in loss of account privileges.
Printing from a lab machine
Appropriate printers for your login should appear automatically in the File > Print dialog. If you feel that there are printers missing that you should have access to, please contact the support team. You can also manually add the printers by following instructions below.
The CS department uses the Common UNIX Printing System for printing under Linux. In addition to printing from the File->Print menu in most graphical applications, users have the ability to print from the commandline. Some of the commonly used commands are the following:
lpr: both of these print files, the examples below use
lpq: displays queued print jobs
lprm: removes queued print jobs
lpstat: gives status information for printers
lpoptions: sets user-specific printer options and defaults
Examples of how to perform some common tasks:
lpstat -p: displays a list of available printers in the department (access to all printers except those in labs is restricted to certain users)
echo "test" | lpr: prints the text "test" to the default printer
lpr filename: prints
filenameto the default printer
lpr -P e1118-hp8150 filename: prints
filenameto the printer in the Engineering Hall 1118 Student Center
lpr -o sides=two-sided-long-edge filename: prints
filenameduplex (two-sided) to the default printer
lpr -o number-up=2 filename: prints
filenameusing half as much paper
lpr -#4 filename: prints 4 copies of
filenameto the default printer
lpq: displays the current queue of print jobs running on the default printer
lpq -a: displays the current queue of all print jobs
lprm 30: removes print job
30 <code> from the print queue
- <code>lpoptions -d e1118-hp8150 : sets your default printer to n016-hp8150
For more information, refer to the Cups Guide to printing and the man pages for the tools.
Printing text files
In addition to printing the text files "raw", one can use the following utilities to format the text:
a2ps filename.txt | lpr: prints the text file in a nicer format; check the man file for more options as this program can do quite a bit
enscript -r filename.txt | lpr: prints a text file in landscape format; check the man file for more options as this program (like
a2ps) can do quite a bit
Printing from a personal or office computer
Choose one of the following for public printers
If you are a member of staff or faculty, you have access to restricted printers. A list of these can be found on the Printers page or at the bottom of this page. Others will only have access to the printers in public labs.
If you want/need the drivers for the Savin copier/printer, you can download it here.
To install one of the department printers on your Windows laptop, follow these steps.
- Go to your Start Menu > Run
- XP: Click Run, type in
\\johnson.win2.cs.ksu.edu, and click "OK"
- Vista/Windows 7/8/10: Type
\\johnson.win2.cs.ksu.eduin the "Start Search" box and press <Enter>
- Note (for all versions of Windows): Wired network users may use “johnson” instead of “johnson.win2.cs.ksu.edu” for the server name, but either will work. Wireless users must use the long form.
- XP: Click Run, type in
- If prompted, enter your CIS username and password
- Vista/Windows 7/8/10: In the Username box type "WIN2\<username>", where <username> is your username.
- Right click on the printer you want and select "Connect"
To install one of the department printers on your OS X laptop, follow these steps.
- Open the "Printers & Scanners" preference pane from the System Preferences
- Click on the "+" to add a printer
- Click on the "Advanced" Icon (it will look like a cog)
- If you do not have the Advanced Icon showing up, right-click (or control-click) on a blank area of the "Add" window next to the icons and select "Customize Toolbar"
- Then drag the Advanced Icon to the "Add" window
- After you have clicked on the Advanced Icon select the "Windows printer via spoolss" type
- Next a samba connect will need to be made, in the box labeled URL you will need to put
- Optional: Give the printer setup a name and location
- In the "Use" box at the bottom select either "Generic PostScript Printer" or "Generic PCL Printer"
- Press the "Add" button at the very bottom, this should verify and try to connect with the print you have specified
- If everything works out fine, you will be able to finalize your printer and use it
- When you send a print job, you will be challenged for login credentials. Please provide your CS account and password for this.
Current Printer Information
|Printer Name||Access Restrictions||Location||Model||Device Options|
|e1118-hp9050||anybody||Engineering Hall 1118 Lab||HP LaserJet 9050 Series||Duplex Unit, 2000-sheet input tray (Tray 4)|
|e2184b-savinc5050||faculty/staff/grads||Engineering Hall 2184B (Copier)||Savin C5050 Color Copier||Duplex Unit, Stapler, Color|
|e2184b-savinc5050-color||faculty/staff/grads||Engineering Hall 2184B (Copier)||Savin C5050 Color Copier||Duplex Unit, Stapler, Color|
|e2184b-savinc5050-color-duplex||faculty/staff/grads||Engineering Hall 2184B (Copier)||Savin C5050 Color Copier||Duplex Unit, Stapler, Color|
|e2184b-savinc5050-duplex||faculty/staff/grads||Engineering Hall 2184B (Copier)||Savin C5050 Color Copier||Duplex Unit, Stapler, Color|
|e2184-hpcp3525x||staff||Engineering Hall 2184 (Main office)||HP Laserjet Color CP3525x|
|e2193-HP4600||faculty/staff/grads||Engineering Hall 2193||HP Color LaserJet 4600||Duplex Unit|
|e2194-HP4250||faculty/staff/grads||Engineering Hall 2194||HP LaserJet 4250||Duplex Unit|
|e2206-HP4300||faculty/staff/grads||Engineering Hall 2206||HP LaserJet 4300||Duplex Unit|
|e2222-hp5550||admins||Engineering Hall 2222 (Earl's Office)||HP LaserJet Color 5550|
|pdf-printer||Generates a pdf in $HOME/cups-pdf|